Removalists - What You Need to Successfully Relocate
19-Oct-2010 Moving your family and belongings to a new home is often an exciting experience. However, without preparing adequately an interstate or an international relocation can be stressful as you try and cover all your bases and not forget anything. Experienced removalists can ensure that your move will be well managed with fewer unexpected issues. Here are some areas that you might consider in preparing to relocate to a new home.
Your Pre-move Consultation
Choose removalists that will give you an obligation free pre-move consultation. They will explain to you the entire moving process and services that are available to help you prepare and plan your entire move.
- Transportation and storage options
- Special requirements for pets, vehicles and fragile items
- Insurance transit protection
- Keeping track of your belongings
Learning About Your Destination
When first considering moving, particularly if you are relocating overseas, there are many questions that you will need to answer. Interstate and international removalists that have global presence often have an in depth range of services that can help you find out about the place you are moving to.
- "Settling-In Tips" provides useful advice from removalist companies that have staff living in different cities around the world, including information about transportation, schools, shopping, accommodations, banking and much more. You should take advantage of local knowledge in preparing to understand about and then settle into your new location.
- Make sure that you have access to a professional move management team that is available to answer your questions and assist you with every step of the relocation.
- Moving to a new place can be especially stressful for children, and a worldwide removalist can have an extensive program to assist parents and children through the transition. Specific children’s programs helps children learn all about different cities and the overall moving process.
On the day that your belongings are to be packed, make sure that you confirm with the packing team leader or supervisor the exact details and processes for the day. Ensure that you have access to important items during your relocation and set aside important documents, clothing, toiletries and other essentials. Find a special location for these items and alert your packing supervisor that these items should not be packed. In fact having them “off-site” is a way to be certain no items are mistakenly packed.
Color Locator System
To effectively organise the packing and transportation of your home, make sure that your removalists use a colour locator system. The packing crew will then apply colored stickers to the cartons as they are being packed. This process matches packages with rooms. Color-coded cards, hung on doors at the destination residence, are matched to like-colored stickers on cartons, simplifying the delivery and unpacking process.
Packing Inventory Sheet
As your personal belongings are carefully wrapped and packed, your supervisor will note each item on a “Packing Inventory Sheet.” Once all items have been removed from your home, packed and loaded into the moving van, they will be numbered and will appear on the packing inventory list. This inventory is a working document from your previous home to your new location.
Your relocations consultant should explain all of your transit protection options and answer any questions you have. Make sure that you know which insurance company underwrites the policy and that it is a reputable company. The policy you choose should offer full replacement cost coverage on a door-to-door, all-risks basis.
To ensure that your insurance coverage is in effect when your removal services begin, be sure to have it signed and given back to your removalists prior to your packing day.
Choosing a Shipping Method
Shipping by sea is an economical mode of transport that works well for most customers. Sea options include a number of methods:
- The Liftvan Method is loaded at your residence and liftvans are placed directly into containers. This method is perfect for those requiring storage or those with less than a full container load.
- Direct Container Method is when you need your goods to be loaded into your own secure sea container. This method can be a cost-effective way to send larger volumes.
- Groupage Method consolidates your shipment with others and save money, though you’ll need to be flexible in the timing of your delivery.
- Shipping by air will get your goods to their destination more quickly, but usually cost much more. For very small shipments, air shipments can offer better value.
- Land shipments are used when moving domestically or to a place accessible over land. Items travel in specially-designed trucks or in rail containers.
A worldwide relocations company can link all its facilities by a common communications and operating network. This means that before you arrive at your new destination, the local office will already have up-to-date information on your relocation. At the same time, you can track your shipment in real-time using any computer with internet access through your own secure login to the removalists’ website.
Quality Management Program
Whether your items are shipped by sea, air or by land, your removalists should be able to assure you that your personal belongings will be handled with the utmost care. Ask about their commitment to quality and what they do to maintain and increase their standards. An experienced relocations company can leverage its well-established knowledge and set standards of customer service that will differentiate it from other removalists and benefit you.
Receiving Your Personal Belongings
As soon as you arrive in your new city, you should contact the local removalists’ office. It is much better to deal with a single company if moving interstate or internationally as they take full and complete responsibility for your move from beginning to end. Having a third party, or you removalists agent may not give you the confidence you need to have peace of mind about your belongings. They should be able to quickly tell you
- the status and delivery date of your personal belongings
- items being transported into local storage
- details of your pet’s transfer
- orientation tours and other relocation services
Taking an overseas assignment can be very exciting. However, it quickly becomes clear that adjustments have to be made when living in a foreign country. Where do you live close to the office or amenities? If you have partner with you, what will the partner do while you are away at work? Without knowing the language of a place, simple things like finding the grocery store can be difficult. Reputable international removalists can arrange services to ease this transition—from the moment you step off the plane to the time you’re ready to pack and return home. They understand the challenges you face as a newcomer. In fact for many international removalists, a significant number of employees are an expatriate living and working outside his or her home country. They can help you ease into your new location by:
- Greeting you at the airport.
- Locating a home for your family.
- Finding a suitable school for your children.
- Showing you the community resources your new city offers.
- Assisting with obtaining a driver’s license or social security card.
- Helping you open a bank account.
- Arranging a rental car.
- Providing networking opportunities.
- Searching for partner employment.
- Familiarizing you and your family with the local culture and language.